.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
 The James E. Nichols Memorial Library
................................................................
35 Plymouth St , 
Center Harbor NH   03226-1339

603-253-6950 Fax: 253-7219  Email. Nicholsl@metrocast.net 
Home
 About the NML  Access and Services
Staff and Trustees
Center Harbor Town Offices
Contact













    
      
The Kona Fountain
was presented to the Town of Center Harbor in 1907.  It was the gift of Herbert Dumaresq, a Boston merchant who called his Center Harbor retreat the Kona Estate.  The fountain's sculptor was Richard  Gerry Cook (1869-1955). Cook was reckoned "one of America's foremost artists in the salt-glazed stoneware  medium of decorative pottery (Boson Globe, 4/20/1955)."

The image of Kona  is central to the legend of naming Lake Winnipesaukee.  Kona (the Eagle), a young cheiftan crossed the lake to court Ellacoya, the daugher Ahanton,  a bitter enemy, as retold by Ursula Hegi in The Legend of Emma Blau:

"Ahanton  said no to anyone who wanted to marry his daughter. He [tried to] attack Kona, [but] the princess  steppped between them.  Kona showed no fear so the chief consented to his daughter's marriage.  After the wedding Kona returned across the lake with his bride, and a storm nearly overturned the canoes. But all at once sun split the clouds, showing the way to safety. Ahanton called this the Smile of the Great Spirit — Winnipesaukee." 


Back  to Center Harbor


12/20/08




A North Line Production

Home
 About the NML  Access and Services
Staff and Trustees
Center Harbor Town Offices
Contact

Home
 About the NML  Access and Services
Staff and Trustees
Center Harbor Town Offices
Contact

v4